nice shop bike

nice shop bike
Boulder Bicycle Lugged

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My saddle is turning into a bannana....


Well I need to vent. About 250 miles ago I put this new Cardiff saddle on a new Rene Herse bicycle, and I loved it! I have a problem where most Brooks saddles just don't work for me, as I always feel like I'm sliding forward regardless of what I do. The Cardiff saddle, which is from Taiwan and distributed by Merry Sales fit my bottom fantastically.
But as you can see, it has a serious case of the sags! It used to be fairly straight accross, now it has a big bow. I've tensioned the bolt, but it seems to want just more and more. And the leather itself seems to be flattening.
Now I know that recent Brooks have not been what they could be either. The only saddle we haven't heard any negative comments on is the Berthoud. But the Cardiff was so inexpensive and was initially so comfortable, that I was hopeful.
Needless to say, we won't be bringing this saddle into regular inventory here at Rene Herse Bicycles.
I wonder if the non-swallow shape version of saddles from this maker are better? Perhaps they are. I miss the Brooks saddles of the 1950's and 1960's.
Mike K in Boulder CO

3 comments:

  1. I ride the Brooks B17 Champion Special Saddles on two different bikes. One I rode in the rain last year to catch the Amgen Tour stage from SF to Santa Cruz. I got soaked and it was bone chilling watching from Skyline boulevard. But the ride softened my B-17 at least compared to my other one I'm still breaking in. ;^)

    I realize I tend to sit forward on the seat, but lately have been sitting further back despite the wider rear section of the saddle and once I've adapted, I like my Brooks saddle more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like what happens to the Selle Anatomica saddles. Comfortable at first but they just keep breaking in until their broken down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that's what happened to my Sella An-Atomica. Brooks don't work for me either, despite thousands of miles trying to get it to work. Maybe I'll give the Berthoud a shot.

    ReplyDelete