nice shop bike

nice shop bike
Boulder Bicycle Lugged

Friday, March 18, 2011

Boulder Bicycle Hits Moab

(Next post will have exciting news on long-awaited decaleur stuff, E3 light mounting, and in-stock-ready-to-ship Boulder Bicycle frames - but first details on our most recent adventure...)

For something different, we closed up shop last week and went to Moab Utah. The occasional trip like this gives us a chance for relaxation as well as an opportunity to test our stuff and be seen. While Moab is known as a world class mountain bike area, the road riding, especially early season, is sublime.

There was quite a bit of interest in the bikes we were riding. I rode the shop's 650b demo bike, and my friend Brian rode the shop's new-production Rene Herse 700c road sport. My friend Lee came along and represented traditional race bike steel on his 7/11 Eddy Merckx.

A number of the roades were chip sealed, and I heard a fair amount of comments. On the 650b, I noticed, but the ride was hardly effected. Still wonderfully smooth!


My old college friend Brian came out and he rode the shop-demo Rene Herse 700c road sport. He liked the comfort and stability. Note that the bike is being used with a Berthoud 192 non-rack type bag, and a model 786 seatbag. This frame was designed for fenders, but not for a load. But Brian reported it still behaved very well.


As you can see, the scenery is amazing in Moab. At every turn, it is as though you are inside a movie set. While a rando bike was not critical, the large temperature swings from the time we started until mid-day insured that having a place to store extra clothing was quite welcome. Plus, the handlebar bag provided enough space for me to carry on one day an old Rolleiflex TLR that I've been playing with. The fenders, though, in the dessert climate were unnecessary for this trip. But only days earlier, the weather had been spotty in Moab, so one never knows.

Mike Kone now back in Boulder CO







4 comments:

  1. I've ridden my Boulder All-Road all around Moab!
    It's a little slice of heaven, ain't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - It's an old post, but I'm just getting round to it. How did your experience with the Rolleiflex TLR turn out? It would be great to see some example shots from it, especially scenery from Moab.

    My question to you is how did you carry the camera while riding? Specifically, what did you do to protect the camera from vibration and road shock?

    It sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for the write up.
    Cheers!

    Dan Boxer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking about what more we can do via this forum to improve cycling in the country. To make the public more aware of the issues faced by everyday cyclists.Bikes Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative..
    Cycling

    ReplyDelete